Remote Australian Aboriginal communities are the most vulnerable populations to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Many elders have serious underlying health conditions putting them at an increased risk of contracting COVID-19. Diabetes, dialysis and heart conditions are prevalent within these communities.
We know there is only a narrow opportunity to minimise harm, especially for the leaders of these communities.
A COVID-19 outbreak is yet to reach the Northern Territory.
Families are working hard to grasp this current opportunity to prepare as well as possible and we need your support.
Experts have advised that when the virus hits Aboriginal communities in Alice Springs and Darwin it will be hard to contain.
· Many families live in poor housing and suffer from overcrowding. These houses cannot facilitate self-isolation.
· Basic resources such as non-perishable goods, over-the-counter medicines and medical supplies are scarce or in unreliable supply.
· Access to healthcare is limited.
· Many people have limited income, limited transport, limited capacity to shop, and do not have any reserve supplies.
Families are leading community based prevention and action plans: inclusive of education, developing and distributing educational resources, environmental health, hygiene and nutrition, as well as supporting people to live outside major towns.
We are seeking donations to support this and to secure:
· Essential health and hygiene supplies
· Non-perishable food supplies
· An environmental trailer fitted with a high-powered cleaner
· Household cleaning equipment to be transported between houses to support intensive large-scale cleaning
· Community based, industrial washing machines and dryers to support families who currently have no whitegoods
Please support our fundraising efforts to acquire these essentials as outlined by community.
Essential large purchases
• Industrial washing machine
• Drying machine
• Environmental trailer
• High pressure cleaning equipment
Essential food resources
• Tinned beans
• Tinned tomatoes
• Tinned tuna
• Tinned vegetables
• Long life milk
• Frozen vegetables
Essential cleaning resources
• Hand sanitiser
• Disinfectant wipes
• Disinfectant spray
• Dishwashing liquid
• Cleaning vinegar
• Surface spray
• Garbage bins
• Garbage bags
• Brooms indoor and outdoor
• Cleaning cloths
• Toilet cleaner
• Spray bottles to dilute disinfectant
• Laundry detergent
• Dish drying racks
• Disposable wipes/cloths
• Over the counter necessities including paracetamol, children’s paracetamol, cough syrup, throat lozenges, nasal decongestant
• Asthma inhalers
• Band aids
• Surgical masks and protective clothing for cleaning
• Shampoo and conditioner
• Women's sanitary items
• Toilet paper
• Bed linen
• Pillow slips
• Face washers
• Sitting mats
• Plastic cups
• Baby bottles and cups
Any contribution possible will assist in containing this escalating health crisis.
Children's Ground is creating a different future with the next generation of Aboriginal children.
We work across 5 intersecting platforms: learning, health, economic wellbeing, culture and community. Indigenous knowledge systems (IKS) are based on an integrated system of knowledge and practice. These systems lead our work. Integration includes First Nations and Western/international leading practices working together.
This ensures children have the very best throughout life.
Learn more about Children's Ground
- Sara Liu
- Lori Oliver
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more