Wayne died on 26th September, 2016 at 3:50am from causes that include spithood and restraint asphyxia – suffocation.
Multiple South Australian prison officers restrained Wayne; cuffing him by his wrists and ankles, hooding him with a spithood, and carrying him face down to the floor of a prison van. There were 7 officers inside the van, and no CCTV inside. Wayne was pulled out “blue and unresponsive” roughly 3 minutes later.
So far 19 South Australian prison officers and staff, and their legal representatives (who out-number our lawyers 5 times over) have lost their South Australian Supreme Court bid to remove themselves from showing up in the Coroner’s Court to face our family, and from removing the Coroner from our case. After almost 4 years since Wayne’s death, the Coronial Inquest will resume on Monday 3rd August 2020.
During this time, we will need to take time off work to attend the coronial hearings and to organise. Our family will need money to cover costs of accommodation, meals and return travel from Sydney, New South Wales to Adelaide, South Australia.
This is going to be an intensely traumatic time for our family and any little bit that you can give will help us to get through it without having to worry about the day to day necessities.
We have already done and will continue to do a lot of campaigning and media to get the systemic change that we want to see, so that no other family has to go through this. The money raised will also support us to do this work, now and in the future.
We find hope in your support and presence. Wayne’s name has travelled across the world and his story has been shared throughout the nations. But there is so much more work to be done from here, so we thank you for helping us carry the weight of this struggle…
We know it’s going to be a long road to justice. Any financial support that you can chip in is so appreciated by our family. It means so much to us.
Read more about our case, our global advocacy and Aboriginal deaths in custody:
- Like our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Justice-for-Fella-102001664917675
- A legal explanation of where we’re at: https://lsj.com.au/articles/police-silence-and-aboriginal-deaths-in-custody/
- Our joint letter from our Aboriginal families: https://www.alsnswact.org.au/open_letter_from_families_clean_out_prisons
- Time Magazine: https://time.com/5853380/george-floyd-australia-aboriginal-deaths/
- Adelaide Review: https://www.adelaidereview.com.au/latest/2020/06/05/why-blacklivesmatter-solidarity-must-start-at-home/
- CBS Coverage on ‘Great Day Washington’ Morning show: https://www.wusa9.com/video/entertainment/television/programs/great-day-washington/indigenous-peoples-march-on-dc-2019/65-8388035
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more