Why are we running this crowdfund campaign?
Ağrı is a unique international Australian-Turkish Feature Narrative Co-Production, the project currently requires development funds to progress to the next stage of financing applications for Australian & Turkish Financing Platforms. In order to be submission ready, we need to raise at least $6000 AUD;
- Working with acclaimed/award-winning Turkish author/screenwriter/producer who will be a Script & Cultural Consultant on the project (Author is already attached to project), enabling the script to be application ready: $3500 AUD
- Shooting Short Film & Teaser for the Feature Film to be application ready for the next stage of film-financing: $2500 AUD
Ağrı is a reverse-migration story on & off the set. The film will mark the first Australian-Turkish Co-Production Feature helmed by an Australian-Turkish Filmmaker.
Our Pledger Reward Structure:
Friendly Pledge ($50 or more)
1) Special Thanks Credit in Short Film
2) Digital Access to Previous Films from Writer/Director
Cinephile Pledge ($100 or more)
1) All rewards in Friendly Pledge AND
2) Exclusive Screening with Filmmakers
Masterclass Pledge ($250 or more)
1) All rewards in Cinephile Pledge AND
2) Access to Exclusive Mood-Board
3) Masterclass: Short-film Writing & Directing with Mert Berdilek
4) Masterclass: Cinematography with Alper Kasap
Executive Producer Pledge ($500 or more)
1) All rewards in Masterclass Pledge AND
2) Executive Producer Credit in Short Film
3) Special Thanks Credit in Feature Film
VIP Pledge ($1000 or more)
Including "Before The World Stood Still - Journey Through Japan" HC Photography Book (Signed & Limited Edition)
1) All rewards in Executive Producer Pledge AND
2) Personal Zoom Call with Creative Team
3) Exclusive Photography Book by Writer/Director Mert Berdilek
What is Ağrı about?
Ömer, a middle-aged Turkish migrant from Australia, has been summoned back after 40 years to Ağrı, the desolate snow-covered village of his youth, at the foot of the sacred Mount Ararat. Ömer has returned for the reading of the will of a man he never suspected was his father, whose dying wish was that his two sons, Ömer and Murat, carry his body and bury him at the peak of the sacred mountain. Unable to confront both their pasts and the realization of their newfound brotherhood, Murat and the illegitimate son Ömer, conspire with an unlikely band of unscrupulous local villagers & bureaucrats to thwart their father’s dying wish. When the guilt-ridden Murat goes missing in a blizzard, tensions escalate, and Ömer uncovers generational secrets of family and sacrifice.
Ağrı'nın konusu nedir?
Ağrı Dağı’nın eteklerinde bir köyde kar fırtınası yaklaşmaktadır ve köyün yabancısı olan Ömer, hiç tanımadığı babasının vasiyetinin okunması için köye gelir. Ömer ziyaretinde, varlığından haberdar olmadığı kardeşi Murat’la tanışır. Bir kardeşinin olduğunu ve babasının iki oğlu tarafından Ağrı Dağı’na gömülmeyi vasiyet ettiğini öğrenmesiyle, Ömer’in yolculuğu boyunca geçmişin karanlık sırları ortaya çıkar. Bu zoraki tanışma ve cenaze işleri arasında Murat kaybolur ve cenaze işleri ile Murat’ın aranması Ömer’in üzerine kalır. Gerilim yükseldikçe, Ömer’in tanıştığı her köylü ve memurun kişisel sorun ve istekleri de halihazırda uğraştıkları karmaşık labirente ortak olur. Ömer, geleceğini şekillendirecek olan geçmişiyle ve aile sırlarıyla yüzleşmek durumunda kalır. Ömer, geçmişiyle hesaplaşarak sadece kim olduğuyla ve nereden geldiğiyle değil, kim olması gerektiğiyle de yüzleşmek zorunda kalır.
- Mert Berdilek (Writer/Director): Turkish/Australian award-winning Director of Crossfire (2019) & The Fall (2020), Alumni of YapimLab & mentored by Palme d'Or Winning Producer Zeynep Atakan (Once Upon A Time in Anatolia, Winter Sleep, The Wild Pear Tree). For more info, please visit: www.mertberdilek.com
- Alper Kasap (Cinematographer): Turkish/Australian award-winning Cinematographer of Crossfire (2019) & The Fall (2020), Alumni of the ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) Masterclass. For more info, please visit: www.alperkasap.com.au
- Maxine Williamson (Producer): Australian feature film producer with 26 years of experience working in local and international film industries across multiple industry sectors.
- Nena Popovic (Producer): Serbian feature film producer with MA degree in TV and Cinema from Istanbul University, Alumni of YapimLab & mentored by Palme d'Or Winning Producer Zeynep Atakan (Once Upon A Time in Anatolia, Winter Sleep, The Wild Pear Tree).
- Defrim Isai (Producer): Albanian/Australian award-winning feature film producer and previous Head of Production and Development at the South Australian Film Corporation and ScreenWest.
Sneak Peek of Moodboard:
In the thick of a winter blizzard, the feature film will be set in a village in Eastern Turkey, at the foot of Mount Ararat.
Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions imposed on the crew, the short film will be shot in Melbourne as a chamber drama in 2021.
The texture of Ağrı's exterior architecture, interiors & wardrobe choices will follow the same throughline, that of a decaying nature, as if our protagonist has set foot in a time capsule surrounded by the relics of his heritage, the ghosts of his past.
- Murat Resitoglou
- Sharon Rankine
- Megan Thomas
- Ömer Dikbas
- Ozge Tanrikut
Fundraising team (3)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more